- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure the costume is not a tripping hazard and that shoes fit.
- Consider adding reflective tape or glow sticks to costumes for greater visibility.
- Secure emergency identification (name, address, phone number) discreetly within Halloween attire or on a bracelet.
- Make sure you have fresh batteries for flashlights.
- Teach kids their home phone number and how to dial 911.
- Plan the route and rules to be followed.
When Trick or Treating:
- Try to go trick or treating while it is still daylight outside, unless you are being accompanied by an adult. Take a flashlight anyway.
- Stay in a group and communicate where you are going.
- Trick or treat in well-known neighborhoods and at homes that have a porch light on.
- Don’t cut through alleys or fields.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or car.
- Observe all traffic and pedestrian regulations.
- Never eat unchecked candy. Have an adult inspect your candy.
- Stay away from open fires and candles.